Monday, 18 April 2011

Second Week in Ingleses

Olá minhas familia e amigas!

I hope this letter finds all of you well! This last week quite literally flew by.. Tuesday, however, inspired me to write this following story in my journal. I decided that it would be best to share it here with you as well so you can fully understand the Brazilian life that I am now leading..

"So.......... I woke up this morning at 4 am, wasnt feeling too good, and I went into our tiny bathroom. As I was sitting down, I drearily looked at the green tile wall about 2 feet away from my face. But it didn't look the same. Right in front of me about a foot and a half off the ground was a brown smudge that I hadn't ever noticed before.. I blinked, trying to get the sleepiness out of my eyes, and the brown sandy smudge came more into focus. But it wasn't just a smudge... it had a tail, and fingers, and toes! I leaned to one side to see if the light would catch it/it had a shadow/was 3D. Sure was! I blinked again, really making sure that I wasn't still dreaming and its eyes opened and it stared at me. I just stared right back. I just kept thinking, "I think it could be justifiable if I screamed right now. There is a lizard/salamander on the wall in my bathroom 2 feet away from me. Its beady black eyes are staring at me." The other part of my brain was thinking, "Sam, it's just a lizard. You're in Brazil. Don't freak out. You're just tired. Plus it hasn't moved--it's not hurting anything/anyone. Leave it alone." So I decided, as long as it didn't move-and by move, I mean viciously and aggressively start jumping ninja/squirrel like in attack mode--we would be fine. I sat there. It sat there. I got up and left and it stayed completely still. I drowsily fell back into my bed waiting for sleep again all while keeping an eye open on the crack of my open bedroom door--just to make sure no Rambo salamander made for its revenge.

In the morning I woke up, found my dictionary, and the first word I said to my companion was "Lagarto" (lizard). She just started laughing and said, "So I guess you met Prysbyla." (Named for her last companion who hated it). It seems like this 3-4 inch long salamander has lived here longer that I and he enjoys eating all of the bugs that eat me. Therefore, for now, me and Prysbyla will be friends--as long as he keeps to living when I'm sleeping."

Other than that one morning, I only have seen Prysbyla at one other time this week. I went to put my clothes in the laundry machine and as my towel touched down I heard and saw a lizard running around inside. This time he/she looked a lot smaller and more friendly, but still, I had to wait and coax it out so that I could wash my clothes. Oh Prysbyla (sounds like Pris-bee-la), we will live to have more interesting encounters, I'm sure.

I told this story to my English class and they all started laughing and saying how they all have these little lizards in their house too. My English class and I share a good bond. They all enjoy my silly ways and I think they are all comfortable with me in learning English. A companionship of Elders comes and helps us too, one teaches with me and one does a conversation class with those that can form sentences, and I'm pretty sure that the larger basic class enjoys me. There are all ages, from 6-60 in the class.. and a couple of the teenagers wanted to add me on facebook, (you can accept them Mom.. haha). One of the older men in the class invited Sister Colares and I over to share a message. He is a guitar player/singer and teaches lessons. Once we were there he pulled out tons of music and played his guitar and we sang with him. It was hard for me because it was just lyrics and chords and all in Português, but I picked it up. We sang him and his wife a hymn before our message and he said, "Sister! You're a singer!!" He keeps bringing me music and wants to sing (even hymns) whenever he comes to class. It cracks me up! I am considered an amazing singer because I can read music, and stay on the notes? This means that I sing.. ALL THE TIME. and I love it!

As for letters and packages, I havent gotten any packages but I hear that there is some mail for me in the Center, the District leader just needs to go and get it for me. I got your letter mom with the pictures and it was great!! In fact, if I may ask--if anyone could send me pictures of seattle, London, Friends, family, ANYTHING--actual picture pictures, I would appreciated it. Brazilians are crazy for photos and everyone has a little photo book. I havent had time to assemble one for myself, and I cant print out pictures (or emails), so its kind of difficult. But that is something I would love!

Thanks for all the communication and the love! I really appreciate it! Missionary work is sometimes really hard, little children are super cute but are also REALLY distracting when you're trying to bring the spirit--and as my mission president said, that is our whole purpose. We could debate about The Book of Mormon and the Bible all we wanted, but the thing that converts people is the spirit that the Missionaries bring while they teach. It's hard, but rewarding.

Must go! Love you all!

Sister Reising

1 comment:

  1. Oh! what a treat to read. I love it... What an adventure

    ReplyDelete